We Won’t Let HIV Own You
We’re Primary Care Physicians Specializing In HIV
We’ll Put HIV In Your Rear-View Mirror
We’ve helped thousands of people with HIV lead normal, healthy fulfilling lives and we’d be honored to do it for you, too.
Whether you’ve just been diagnosed or have been living with it for years, we can help put HIV in the rear-view mirror so you can live life with forward momentum.
Get ALL Your Medical Needs Treated Under One Roof
Because we’re primary care physicians who specialize in HIV you get the best of both worlds–doctors you can see for non-HIV related issues AND specialists who have experience treating people at all stages of the disease. All of our providers are HIV Specialists credentialed by the American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM).
We understand the complex nature of HIV, stay on top of the new drugs coming online, and because we’ve treated thousands of HIV+ men, we’ve dealt with almost every conceivable aspect of the virus. You will be in great hands.
We’ll Help You Turn HIV From A Headline To A Footnote
We’re in a calm, beautiful, space that hardly looks like a medical office in Old Fourth Ward near midtown (659 Auburn Ave NE # G10, Atlanta, GA 30312). Call us today or book an appointment online. We won’t let HIV own you.
If You Can’t Get Help With Us We’ll Help You Get Help Somewhere.
We want you to get the best possible care even if it isn’t with us. It’s difficult to get treatment from a private practice if you don’t have insurance and often even the insured don’t get to choose their preferred doctor. If that’s the case with you, we’d like to help with a few suggestions.
How To Find An HIV Doctor In Atlanta If You Don’t Have Insurance
Each of these organizations help with the prevention and treatment of HIV in Atlanta. Click on their sites and they’ll show you how to get help.
If We Can’t Help You Here’s How To Find An HIV Doctor In Atlanta
Obviously, the doctor you choose should be knowledgeable about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and have a lot of experience treating patients with HIV and AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). There’s an easy way to find out how experienced your HIV doctor might be: Ask them how many HIV patients they’ve treated.
Personality is another thing to consider when choosing an HIV doctor in Atlanta. Do you feel at ease with the doctor? Can you talk comfortably? Is he or she looking at his computer when they talk to you or looking straight into your eyes? Your doctor’s personality, approach, and responsiveness is a critical component to good care. Here’s a helpful guide from thebody.com titled, “Is Your HIV Care Provider the Right Fit For You?”
Always interview as many doctors as you can to find the best fit. During the interviews I suggest you also ask the following questions:
Questions To ASK
- Does the doctor want you to take an active part in decision-making or does he or she prefer a more traditional doctor-patient relationship?
- Do you want a doctor who is aggressive about treatment — encouraging you to try new drugs or participate in research trials or do you want a doctor with a more conservative bent?
- Does your doctor believe in complementary care like vitamin therapies or homeopathy? If that’s what you believe in you should seek out a doctor that shares your beliefs.
- Is your doctor board-certified in Internal Medicine? Does he specialize in HIV?
- What is the average wait time for appointments? How long does it take for him or her to return phone calls?
- Does the doctor have a solid referral base of specialists?
How to Find an Atlanta HIV/AIDS Doctor Who’s In Your Network
If you already have a primary care physician with whom you feel comfortable, find out if this person also has the skills and experience to be your HIV/AIDS doctor. If not, they can refer you to a specialist. If you need to find a new HIV/AIDS doctor, and don’t know where to begin, here are a few ideas to help you get started:
- Contact a local HIV/AIDS organization for the names of several doctors (see below for a great list of care providers).
- Contact your insurance provider for doctors in Atlanta with HIV experience.
- Search The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). They represent physicians, scientists and other healthcare professionals who specialize in infectious diseases. They promote excellence in patient care, education, research, public health, and prevention relating to infectious diseases. You can find excellent HIV doctors in Atlanta by accessing their Atlanta HIV Physician Directory.
Valuable Resources To Educate Yourself on HIV
These are reliable sources that will give you the facts on different issues:
It would be our privilege to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. If that’s possible call us right now at 404-888-0228 and set up an appointment. If it’s not, know that we care about you getting the best possible care somewhere. To that end we sincerely hope we’ve given you enough options on this page to help.
To your health!
T. Douglas Gurley MD